Skip to main content

Parting ways

“Do you know how to do partition?” Omar asks me.

“Partition? Why what happened?” I ask. My mind races through the possible battle scenes amongst the Lilliputians that had led to the ultimate decision to create boundary walls.

“I want a partition in my hair,” he bends his head so I can clearly see the space that needs to be ‘partitioned.’ Then he points to his left side and hands me a comb. “I want it here.”

“Oh, side parting. That’s easy.” I quickly run the comb through his hair.

“Partition done?” Omar asks as I put down the comb.

“Yes. Go look in the mirror.”

A second later, I hear a voice that seems like a prelude to a tantrum.

“You call this partition?” Omar shrieks.

“No, I call this parting,” I say in a quiet voice. The idea is to set an example of polite conversation.

Neither my impressive vocabulary nor my well-mannered conversing style impresses Omar. In fact, nothing registers.

“The line in my hair is not straight, and my skin is not visible. You said you knew how to do partition,” Omar thumps his feet on the floor.

“Okay. Bring me a scale and some water. I will have to wet your hair and use the scale to make a straight line,” I try to calm him by imparting some professional and technical touch to the entire undertaking.

Omar is impressed. He brings me a scale and some water. I wet his hair and with the help of the ‘scale’ divide it into two sections. Lo and behold! A beautiful part runs down the left side of his head.

To save my artwork for future reference I take a photograph of this perfect partition and show it to Omar. “It looks like a white zebra crossing-minus stripes dividing a black road,” I comment on my artwork. The analogy pleases Omar; he rushes to the looking glass, stands there, and admires himself for a while.

“This is better, but the partition is not wide enough. I want my scalp to be visible,” he comments while still looking in the mirror. “Do you think you could pluck some of my hair to make it wider?”

“It will hurt. This looks quite good. But why do you want this zebra crossing-minus stripes in your hair?” I obviously want to know the reason behind this sudden fascination with ‘partition’.

“I saw it on somebody. See it makes me look different,” Omar says while still looking in the mirror and feeling quite pleased with his new look.

Has Omar caught the fashion bug? And is it just the beginning?

Omar wants to look different by looking like somebody else. Isn’t this what fashion is all about?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Selfishia got Rid of Her Feathery Moustache

Selfihsia the selfish hen was unhappy. And understandably so. After all, having a feathery moustache is not the same thing as having a new hairdo or a brand new dress from a well-known boutique. She couldn’t flaunt it.     It didn’t make her feel beautiful. It didn’t even make her feel like an ordinary hen with a few feathers missing. She felt feathery at the wrong places and this made her sad. One day when she was crying and looking at her reflection in the puddle of water near the grapefruit tree, Kayseria strutted toward her. “Selfhisha, I have clucked at the thought and have finally come up with a solution,” she said. All the hens had been thinking about Selfishia’s moustache for a while now. There had been five meetings under the grape fruit tree to get Selfishia out of her predicament. “Really!” Selfisha clucked loudly with hope. Hearing Selfishia’s loud cluck the others came trotting and gathered around her. When the cluck cluck of excitement settled

Napoleon and His Family in the Land of Lilliputians

As Napoleon the rooster traveled in the white Suzuki pickup van that was taking him to the Land of Lilliputians, he wondered. Yesterday, he along with the five hens who now cackled in the van were put in a separate basket.  They were sold to the Lilliputians. Napoleon looked at the five hens who were now under his guardianship. “What a diversified lot,” he thought. Somebody cackled in soft purring tones. He knew it must be Chandni , the eldest, the prettiest of the hens. She was snowy white with black dots.  Yes, there she was, sitting snugly near the window; oblivious to the world around her except the warm egg which she had just laid. Chandni was good at it: laying eggs day after day. “The ever maternal Chandni,” thought Napoleon and smiled indulgently at her. However, at times it irritated him that Chandi treated her eggs as if they merited a pride of performance award. “As if this is the only act of creativity in the world! But then this is a hen’s lot. W

Martian in the Land of Lilliputians

“Are you really from Mars?” Saif asks me in his usual pitch of voice: loud. He apparently presumes I am sitting on the ceiling fan.  “Saif, I am near. I can even hear you whisper. Yes, I am from Mars.” Saif tries to lower his voice a notch. He doesn’t succeed.  “No, you are not. You make up stories, and you don’t understand the language of birds and animals. You have made up also those stories about Selfishia and Kayseria.” “Saif, first you doubt my Martian antecedents and then you challenge my communication abilities. Okay, if you don’t want to believe it, don’t,” I say with Martian nonchalance. “But why do you say so? Okay, now that the Curiosity Rover has landed on Mars will you go back?” “I don’t need any curiosity rover. I can go there on my own volition, just by snapping my fingers and closing my eyes.” Martian nonchalance helps to make your point. “I know this can’t be true. You are not from Mars,” Saif asserts his nine years old adult-hood.